Welcome to the Color Fusers Blog Hop and April 2020 Color Challenge!
Get ready for some out of the ordinary fun with the April 2020 Color Challenge and Blog Hop! My super cute projects this month use a unique element I especially love. I’ve incorporated the scrappy strips technique in a couple of different ways with the Under My Umbrella Bundle to create these two cards. I’ve got a bunch of photos in this post and a video tutorial for how to do the scrappy strips technique later in this post.
Now I CASE’d this adorable layout from Annette Eliot. You can find her card on Pinterest by clicking HERE or check out her blog at, AEStamps A Latte. For my two cards, I’ve used a different color scheme and a few alternative elements but the layout is exactly the same as Annette’s.
I’m going to start by talking about a few basic details on these cards and then later in this post I’ll go into more detail about my unique elements with the Scrappy Strips Technique.
On this first card, I used the large umbrella and colored the boots with a combination of blends alcohol markers including the light and dark Soft Sea Foam and the light Granny Apple Green. The flowers were colored with the Balmy Blue light and dark blends alcohol markers.
The circle is cut out using the largest circle in the Layering Circles dies. I’ve also dry embossed this die-cut layer with the subtle 3-D embossing folder but have now realized you can’t really see that element in any of my photos. 🙁 This next photo shows it the best although it’s subtle. The texture is a really nice addition to this card so I wish you could see it better. Oh well!
Now I just love this sentiment and can’t help but think that it couldn’t be more perfect for what’s going on in the world right now with the Coronavirus.
I think that even though lots of people are keeping their distance from others physically this pandemic is bringing people together in many other ways which is really a beautiful thing! I guess it’s a bit of a silver lining.
As you can see here I’ve used the other umbrella on this next card and punched, not stamped the umbrella handle for a fun, different look.
I like how the handle looks with the scrappy strips technique!
For this version of my card, I colored the boots with the light and dark Granny Apple Green blends. The flowers were colored with the Balmy Blue light and dark blends alcohol markers.
Both the boots and flowers were fussy cut using my paper snips.
I love the sentiment used on this second card too! It makes me think first of my mom but then I think about so many wonderful people in my life that I’d love to send this card and sentiment to. It’s the people in our lives that make life special right?!
Now, are you just dying to know more about how I created the tops of the umbrellas and the strips along the bottom?
Here are some graphics with the details of what I did:
- For the base piece here, I’ve used a piece of Blueberry Bushel cardstock that measures 3″ x 5-1/2″ but you can use any size base depending on how you plan to use it.
- My strips are 5-1//2″ long. You will want to cut your strips so they are significantly longer than the height of your base piece so you can play with where you place them to get the look you like.
- The strips are cut in random widths and at random angles.
Tip: Can you see the residual glue on the backsides of these strips? By using my silicone craft sheet I don’t have to worry about my overhanging strips to get stuck to my paper work-surface. Even with the glue on the overhanging strips, my piece will lift off of the silicone sheet without sticking.
Here’s my final piece cut down without the strips.
I’m sure you have already figured out what I’m going to do next…
I first punched out the shapes for my Umbrellas and then…
decided to cut some strips off the ends for the bottom element on my cards.
In case you’re curious, the thin strip is just ⅛” wide and the
I hope you’ve enjoyed my projects today and will give the scrappy strips technique a try! There are so many fun, creative possibilities for this technique! You could use different color schemes, punch or die-cut different shapes. So fun right?!
I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing my April 2020 Color Challenge project variations!
To recreate my projects and/or purchase any of the products used here, check out the complete supply list and project dimensions at the end of this post. Plus, there’s a video link for how to do the Scrappy Strips technique below from my previous post you may want to check out.
Now I’ve created some other projects with this technique as well in a different color scheme and one with designer series paper too. Click HERE to check out my previous post featuring those projects but FIRST, check out the rest of the blog hop today. You will not want to miss the other projects made by the design team for the April 2020 Color Challenge!
Thanks for spending some time with me today and Happy Crafting!
Be sure to continue along on the blog hop so you don’t miss out on any of the fun!
The next stop is Jo Anne Hewin’s blog. I know you’ll enjoy what she’s got to share!
Color Fusers Blog Hop Team:
Melissa Kerman – You Are HERE
Watch my Scrappy Strips video tutorial here:
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, if you click on the bell you’ll be notified whenever I publish a new video.
More Going On Now
- Faux Ceramic Technique Class PreOrder Happening Now! Preorder Deadline April 12, 2020. Click HERE to learn more!
- Product Based Classes Now Available! Click HERE to learn about these simple Classes-To-Go!
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too! Click HERE to subscribe!
- GET PERKS when you Place Orders through my online store! Click HERE for more details.
- Online Stamp Club Spots Now Available! Click HERE to learn more!
- Earn Loyalty Leaves with your purchases in my Online Store! Cash them in for FREE Stampin’ Up! products! Click HERE to learn more.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 4/9/20 at 7 pm EST. Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the hostess code! You’ll get hostess rewards AND Free Card Kits too!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the NEW Jan. to Jun. 2020 Mini-Catalog PDF below.
Check out the 2019 – 2020 Annual Catalog PDF below.
- Thick Whisper White Card Body: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Balmy Blue Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Whisper White Stamped Layer: 3-13/16″ x 5-1/16″
- Whisper White Dry Embossed Layer: 3-13/16″ x 5-1/16″
- Blueberry Bushel Base for Strips: 3″ x 5-1/2″
- Scraps in Balmy Blue, Granny Apple Green, Soft Sea Foam and White