A blast from the past!
This project was first shared on July 3, 2017, on my old Stampin’ Up! blog, which will be gone very soon. Since Stampin’ Up! is taking down the blog portion of the site, I’ve picked some of my favorite posts from that blog to bring over here to my new site.
Welcome to the July 2017 Color Fusers Blog Hop! The Color Challenge for the team this month was to use any or all of the following four colors, Dapper Denim, Soft Sky, Lemon Lime Twist, and Whisper White. My project today uses the Lovely Words Thinlits and a technique I’m calling, Masking a Mosaic or Paper Mosaic Art.
This project was inspired by a piece of art I had pinned to my “Creative Inspiration” Pinterest board.
It was a different color scheme and the piece was on a large canvas and done with acrylic paint. Wouldn’t something like this be so fun as big wall art? Well… my piece is a regular 4-1/4″ x 5″ card size and done with sponges, regular Classic Inks by Stampin’ Up! and four large post-it notes. It’s a little time consuming but was pretty easy and fun!
To create this Paper Mosaic Art…
- Put a large Post-It Note on an angle to create a line from the top center to the bottom left of center. You may notice this is the only line that goes all the way from top to bottom completely.
- Place two other post it notes to create a triange shape that seems pleasing in size and shape.
- Sponge in this exposed triangle starting at the smallest top point of the triangle and sponging in streaks toward the large bottom end of the triangle. As I sponged each shape I varied the angle of the sponged streaks. You can see this really well, in the close up photo ahead.
- Remove the Post-It notes and reposition to expose only the next shape you want to sponge. When you do this you’ll want to keep the post in note parallel to the previous lines but covering about an 1/8″ of the white cardstock so when you sponge you leave a line of white between the first triangle and the next. This is likely the hardest thing about this technique because it’s hard to tell how much white you are leaving between the sponged shapes. I’m actually really surprised at how regular and similar in size my white lines ended up being. In the close up below you can see some of the variation in the white strips between the sponged shapes.
- Repeat this process, again and again, building your mosaic as you desire.
The end result was a fun surprise. As I was building my mosaic, I just exposed enough to see what the next adjacent shape should be.
I tried to vary the shape, angle, size, and color of each sponged element as I went. I never saw the whole thing until the very end. I really love how it turned out!
In the close up above you can see that I added my favorite new embellishment… the Clear Faceted Gems.
I also used some Wink of Stella on the die cut “Hugs” piece. You can see a little of the sparkle in the close up above.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this card! A complete supply list with links to my online store is included ahead. Thanks for stopping by today!
Check out all the fun projects we have for you today!
Continue on the Color Fusers blog hop using the links provided ahead. I’m sure you’ll find wonderful, fun projects that you will not want to miss!
Color Fusers Blog Hop Team:
- Heather Osborn
- Paola Phillips
- Jo Anne Hewins
- Melissa Kerman – You Are Here
- Robin Messenheimer
- Pat Ertman
- Debbie Henderson
- Cindee Wilkinson
- Sarah Wills
- Barb Mullikin
- Tammy Civello
More Going On Now
- Become a Treehouse Chick and take your Crafting and Creative Fun to the Next Level! Get
$125$155 in product for just $99 when you buy the Starter Kit during July and August 2019, plus get a $10 coupon to spend the month after you join! Click HERE to learn more.
- Get Coupons With Orders in July! – Click HERE for details!
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too! Click HERE to subscribe!
- GET PERKS when you Place Orders through my online store! Receive FREE Project Kits. Click HERE for more details.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 7/18/19 at 7 pm EST. Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the hostess code! You’ll get hostess rewards AND Free Card Kits too!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.