I love creating visual and abstract textures in my creations and always look for fun ways to do that!
Today’s post and video feature a few fun ways to create texture and dimension in your projects by using things that are just laying around the house. When I was a kid I remember making a stamp by carving a potato. So… why not use other shapes and materials to create inked images too?
For the project you see here I used a piece of extra rug matting to create a textured background.
design I used Brusho for my color, but you can also simply use ink pads as well.
I only used two colors of the Brusho, the Prussian Blue and Yellow. As you can see here, the colors mixed to create some new colors.
The sentiment used here is from the Part of My Story stamp set. This set is available as a free item with a $50 merchandise purchase during Sale-A-Bration.
In the close up above
some of the finer details of this card can be seen.
- I’ve used the Rectangle Stitched Framelits for my frame.
- The butterflies are stamped in Crushed Curry and Granny Apple Green and then were punched out with the Butterfly Duet Punch.
- The butterflies were painted with some Clear Wink of Stella for a little shimmer and shine.
Believe it or not, the
backround on this next card was created in exactly the same way as the first card with the SAME colors of Brusho!
More yellow brusho was used here relative to the blue. It produced a very different result as you can see.
For this second card I used the direct to paper technique on the Soft Suede frame to add some additional texture. In addition, the frame was attached to the card body using dimensionals.
Here are my finished cards:
These are the different household items used for the cards in this post and for my Facebook Live project demonstration:
For the produce bag I created a frame out of cardstock to hold the material in place. For the rug mat I put packing tape around all four edges to provide a bit of stability and give me something less flimsy to hold onto.
Here is the first set of textured pieces created during the facebook live project demonstration:
I used ink pad to apply my ink when creating these pieces. The colors are at the end of this post as part of the supply list.
Here is the second set of textured pieces created during the facebook live:
I used the Stampin’ Up! Brusho Crystal Color to creating these pieces. These were created in the same way as for the finished cards earlier in this post.
After the facebook live event was over I created some more on the backsides of each piece:
I will be packaging some of these up into “Card Salad” Gifts for participants who comment with the hashtag, #RepurposeForTexture. I described what “Card Salad” is in the video. 🙂 I figured by creating a background on both sides it would give the winners more choices to play with! To be entered into the drawing, comment using the hashtag (#RepurposeForTexture) in the Facebook Live Event, on the YouTube Video or here on my blog post.
Here are some more backgrounds created after the live event was over. Can you tell I really like the small bubble wrap method?
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s project and ideas for creating texture in your paper crafting projects!
To learn more check out the video just ahead. The demonstrations begin at around 23 minutes.
FYI, there are project dimensions and a complete supply list below, with links to my online store, for your convenience.
Plus, if you love techniques as I do…
You might like to know that I am in the process of creating a Technique Club. I’m still designing the finer details of how it will work but if you’d like to be notified when there is more information please click HERE to leave a comment with the text, “Technique Club Interest”,and I’ll notify you when there are more details.
Happy Crafting friends!
Check out my Facebook Live Video here:
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, if you click on the bell you’ll be notified whenever I publish a new video.
More Going On Now…
- Sale-A-Bration Coordination Products Available Starting TODAY!
- Exclusive Products are available in March or While Supplies!
- Products coordinate with several Sale-A-Bration Products including dies, stamps and a punch!
- Click HERE to see these products.
- There are now EVEN MORE Sale-A-Bration items to choose from including select catalog products. Click HERE to learn more.
- SALE-A-BRATION is Going on NOW!
- For EVERY $50 in merchandise spent you’ll get a FREE item from Stampin’ Up! through Sale-a-Bration. Click HERE for more details about this promotion.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 3/7/19 at 4 pm EST
- Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
- Click on “following” on my facebook page so you’ll receive a notification of when I go LIVE. Under the “following” options you can also select the “see first” option which might help you to find me more easily.
- Become a Treehouse Chick and take your Crafting and Creative Fun to the Next Level!
- Get $175 in product for just $99 when you buy the Starter Kit during Sale-A-Bration!
- Click HERE to learn more.
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
Click Below to see the Sale-A-Bration Coordination Flyer – Products Available to purchase in March 2019!
See the 2019 2nd Release Sale-A-Bration Brochure PDF by clicking below.
See the 2019 Sale-A-Bration Brochure PDF by clicking below.
Check out the 2019 Occasions Catalog PDF below.
Check out the 2018 – 2019 Annual Catalog PDF below.
- Card Body in Shaded Spruce or Early Espresso: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Frame Piece in Night of Navy or Soft Suede: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Sentiment Piece in Whisper White or Very Vanilla:
- Bottom Sentiment Backing in Night of Navy or Soft Suede:
- Top Sentiment Backing in Shaded Spruce or Granny Apple Green:
(For additional background pieces in this post.)
wow….love this….really let’s me get outside the “normal” box…thanks for this.
Melissa Kerman says
I’m so glad you enjoyed this Barb! Thanks for commenting and letting me know. Have a great day and Happy Crafting!