Welcome to the December Color Challenge for the Color Fusers Blog Hop!
The color challenge this month seems so fitting for a Christmas card but to be honest, at this time of year I’ve created so many holiday-themed cards that I’m ready to move on to something else. Well, reds and greens aren’t just for Christmas and I love it with my hummingbird and flower!
Check out my card and the stamp set here:
Today’s color challenge project features a sneak peek of a set that will be in the Occasions Catalog and available to purchase starting 1/3/18.
The name of the stamp set is Humming Along and I am already in love with it. This was one of the stamp sets that Stampin’ Up! gave to all 6000 plus attendees, that went to OnStage Live in Orlando last month. Amazing right?
For this card, I’ve used a technique called Masking to make it look like the flower is in behind the bird.
Masking seems a little like magic but it’s in fact, really simple.
Here’s how I did my masking for this card:
- Start by stamping the hummingbird onto a post-it note or onto some art masking tape. Then, cut out the hummingbird.
- Next, stamp the hummingbird image onto your focal piece, so that the bird’s beak is not quite perfectly vertical. I’d estimate it’s at about an 80-degree angle. For my bird, I used Versamark and Gold embossing powder.
- Place the bird mask over the bird that is stamped on your focal piece.
- Then stamp the flower image over the bird, such that the bird will look like it’s drinking the nectar from the flower. The flower is also heat embossed with gold embossing powder.
- I then used an Aqua Painter to watercolor my images.
Here’s a closer look at the card:
In this next photo, you may be able to see that there’s a little shimmer to my cardstock.
The Shimmery White Cardstock is great for water coloring, plus it’s got the added bonus of having that shimmery finish.
So I wasn’t kidding when I said I love this Humming along set. In fact, I’ve already created SEVEN projects with this set!
I’ll be sharing a few more of these in my upcoming facebook live this week! To see these projects, find me LIVE at Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page, on Thursday 12/6 at 4 pm EST or check out the replay afterward.
I hope you enjoyed my project today and will leave a comment and tell me what you think!
For your convenience, you’ll find a complete supply list and project dimensions just ahead.
Be sure to continue along on the blog hop today! The next stop is Bonnie O’Neill‘s Blog. I know you’ll enjoy what she’s got to share!
Color Fusers Blog Hop Team:
Melissa Kerman – You Are HERE
Check out another fun project that uses the masking technique here:
- Click HERE to see my PopUp Slider Card that uses Masking with the Animal Outing Stamp Set.
Thanks for spending some time with me today and Happy Crafting!
More Going On Now…
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 12/06/18 at 4 pm EST
- These events include all the latest updates plus. A project and/or technique demonstration too!
- Click HERE to find me on Facebook.
- “Taste of a Suite” Product Shares are Coming mid-December!
- Preorder Opening Soon!
- Invoices will be sent out between Thursday 12/27/18 and Friday 1/4/19.
- Shares will be filled and distributed in January.
- More details coming soon!
- Get Free Card Kits in the Mail when you place a qualifying order in my Online Store!!!
- Click HERE to learn more.
- Become a Treehouse Chick and take your Crafting and Creative Fun to the Next Level!
- Click HERE to learn more.
Click HERE to Shop Now
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits, and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the 2018 Holiday Catalog PDF by clicking the photo below.
Click Below to see the 2018 – 2019 Annual Catalog PDF
- Card Body in Mint Macaron: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Shaded Spruce Layer: 3-7/8″ x 5-1/8″
- Shimmery White Focal Layer: 3-11/16″ x 4-15/16″
- Cherry Cobbler Strip: 1/2″ x 5-1/2″
- Whisper White Inside Piece: 3-7/8″ x 5-1/8″
Humming Along Stamp Set – Item# 148758 (Available on 1/3/19)
MELANIE MORRIS says
Wow! That gold really makes it pop! TFS!
Melissa Kerman says
Thanks Melanie. I’m glad you like the project. I agree that the gold embossing really adds a lot.