In today’s post, I’ll be sharing a bit about dry embossing with dies.
The project I’m sharing here was actually made with a leftover piece that I created while playing with ideas for my Dry Embossing with Dies Technique Class. In this class, there were multiple ideas and variations shared. So, in today’s post, you’ll learn just a bit about how to emboss with dies. For the complete story, you may want to consider checking out this technique class.
It was actually super easy to make this card!
Now learning how to emboss with dies is not complicated, however there are some tips and tricks that are helpful to know.
Here are some basic tips for how to dry emboss with dies:
You simply use your die in your die-cutting machine with the blade of the die facing away from the paper. So, instead of cutting, you create an impression in the paper. It’s also important to use some kind of silicone sheet as one of your layers under the die, so there’s some cushioning when running your sandwich through the die-cutting machine. You’ll have to play with your layering to get the right thickness, so you make an impression only and don’t cut into the cardstock instead.
I created the impression of the trees on this card with the single large die in the Inspiring Canopy Dies shown below!
Now when you dry emboss a piece you always have the option to use either the embossed or the debossed side.
The embossed side is the one where the shapes are coming out toward you and the debossed side is when the impression is pushed down and away leaving recessed shapes. I’ve used the embossed side for my card today.
Once your piece has an impression(s) in it, you can add color for some added contrast and interest in a variety of ways.
For my card, I’ve used Light and Dark Blends Alcohol Markers to add color to the raised, dry embossed trees, and ground.
The markers used include Shaded Spruce, Soft Sea Foam, Crumb Cake, and the Color Lifter. The sentiment is stamped using Crumb Cake Ink and the ends are punched with the Lovely Labels Pick A Punch. The sentiment piece is also popped up on Stampin’ Dimensionals.
One of my primary goals in creating the Dry Embossing with Dies Technique Class was to show some additional creative ways to use dies, besides just cutting out shapes.
I just love using my dies in different ways and love how this card turned out!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this project featuring dry embossing with dies!
If you’re hungry for more make sure to check out my other post featuring this technique with the Brilliant Wings Dies or consider taking my Dry Embossing with Dies Technique Class. Here is a sneak peek of the class projects:
At the end of this post, you’ll find project dimensions and a complete supply list with links to my online store. If you choose to purchase any or all of the items for this project through my online store, let me just say, thank you in advance for supporting my business! It is very much appreciated!
More Going On Now
- Registration is now open for the Maker’s Mojo Creative Escape Event on 10/2/21, World Card Making Day!
- Do you want FREE Stampin’ Up! Products? If so, check out the details of Sale-A-Bration below!
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too! Click HERE to subscribe!
- GET PERKS when you Place Orders through my online store! Receive FREE Project Kits. Click HERE for more details.
- Earn Loyalty Leaves with your purchases in my Online Store! Cash them in for FREE Stampin’ Up! products! Click HERE to learn more.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 09/9/21 at 7 pm EST. Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
During Sale-A-Bration you can Get FREE Items when you Buy Products, Host a Party and Purchase the Starter Kit! – Ends September 30, 2021!
Here are the details:
- Customer Benefits:
- For each $50 in merchandise you spend you earn a Level 1 Free item.
- For each $100 in merchandise you spend you earn two Level 1 items or one Level 2 item.
- Host Benefits
- Get a Free Stamp Set called “In Your Words”, when you host a party with $300 in sales or more.
- That’s in addition to the regular host rewards you earn.
- Get Host Rewards for your own order or request a host code below to gather orders!
- For Starter Kit Purchasers
- Get $125 in Products for just $99 plus tax PLUS,
- Get a FREE Bundle! There are 12 bundles you can choose from the new mini-catalog!
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Become a Stamp Club Member and get a Free Class-To-Go and Free Products!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the host code! You’ll get host rewards AND a gift from me too!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the 2021 – 2022 Annual Catalog PDF by clicking on the photo below!
Click HERE to request a catalog if you intend to purchase Stampin’ Up! products through my online store.
The August to December 2021 Mini Catalog is coming on 8/3/21.
- Soft Sea Foam Card Body: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- White Dry Embossed Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Crumb Cake Strip: 1-1/2″ x 5-1/2″
- White Sentiment Piece: 3/4″ x 2-1/4″
- White Inside Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″