In today’s post, learn how to make two simple cards using ribbon scraps. My favorite thing about these cards is that the ribbon is the focal element!
There are so many amazing and beautiful ribbons available but most of the time, ribbon becomes an embellishment or added element on the card but rarely is it the focal element. What I love about today’s cards is that the ribbon is the star of the show rather than taking second fiddle to something else. I don’t know about you but I have a ton of ribbon scraps leftover from crafting over the years. After you see my two simple cards using ribbon scraps I hope you’ll be inspired to use some of your ribbon scraps to make some quick, creative cards.
My original motivation for these cards was to use some of the ribbons that are retiring from the 2020-2021 Annual Catalog. In the end, I only used one ribbon that’s retiring and five NEW ribbons. Go figure! It’s just where the creative process took me. 🙂
For my first card, I’ve used three different ribbons and they all have a bit of a metallic element to them.
The Black Glitter ribbon has flecks of silver throughout, the Vanilla has a gold edge (this is the one that’s retiring) and the last gorgeous ribbon has a lovely texture plus flecks of gold. I love all three of these ribbons!
One of the dies from the new Brilliant Wings dies was used to die-cut the butterfly opening. I tried some dies with more detail but in the end, the simpler, more open space worked better to show off the ribbon.
After I die-cut the butterfly, this piece was dry embossed with the Tasteful Textiles embossing folder and attached to the gold foil (with the ribbon), with Dimensionals.
Tip: It’s important that the dry embossing is done after the die-cutting. If I’d done it in reverse the texture of the dry embossing would get flattened when doing the die-cutting and eliminate some of the texture.
Last but not least the sentiment is heat embossed with gold embossing powder. I grabbed this sentiment from my “card salad” bin of extra pieces and I honestly don’t know what stamp set it comes from. I searched in all my current stamp sets and couldn’t find it so it may be retired. Such a bummer because it’s a lovely sentiment.
For one added element of texture, I’ve dry embossed a layer of black cardstock with my Subtle 3D embossing folder and attached it to the front of the card. You may be able to see it in the photo above. I absolutely adore this embossing folder and it’s retiring very soon. I’m so sad to see this item go!
I love how this card came out. It’s elegant but a bit whimsical too don’t you think? Plus, this was a very simple card to put together so when I was finished I just had to play some more.
For my second card, I just had to play with the NEW 2021 – 2023 In Color ribbons.
I am absolutely loving these colors. It usually takes me some time to warm up to new colors but that’s not the case with these ones. I love them all and they also look great together. Gotta love that!
The bright cheerful color palette for this card couldn’t be more different from the first card. It was very fun to remake this design into a new card with a completely different look and feel. Instead of being elegant and regal, this one is simply pretty, cheerful, and bold.
This color palette simply screamed flowers to me so I pulled out my large Daisy Punch and my Ornate Floral embossing folder and got to playing.
For this one, I’ve dry embossed a layer of white cardstock with the Subtle 3D embossing folder. In this case, it covers the full front of the card.
Since I increased the size of the focal element and the piece behind it to accommodate the larger size of the daisy, I also increased the size of the dry embossed piece too.
So after I made this card during my Facebook Live event it occurred to me that I could have added a little bling with the NEW In Color Jewels. In the close-up below, I’ve flanked my sentiment with some Soft Succulent In Color Jewels.
By the way, my sentiment is stamped in the NEW In Color called Evening Evergreen using an image from the Happy Thoughts Stamp Set. I love the font and bold sentiments in this set! This set will be retiring at the end of June so get it now while you still can!
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s projects and that you’re inspired to go make cards with ribbon scraps!
At the end of this post, you’ll find project dimensions, a supply list and my video tutorial for how to make cards with ribbon scraps. Enjoy!
More Going On Now
- You Can Still Get the Butterfly Bouquet Stamp Camp PDF featuring 12 Projects! Click HERE to buy the 55 page PDF Tutorial. Kits are SOLD OUT!
- Get Last Chance Products Before They’re Gone! – 2020-2021 Annual Stampin’ Up! Catalog Retires on 5/3/21
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too! Click HERE to subscribe!
- GET PERKS when you Place Orders through my online store! Choose a Free product OR FREE Project Kits. Click HERE for more details.
- Earn Loyalty Leaves with your purchases in my Online Store! Cash them in for FREE Stampin’ Up! products! Click HERE to learn more.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 04/22/21 at 7 pm EST. Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the hostess code! You’ll get hostess rewards AND Free Card Kits too!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the January to June 2021 Mini Catalog PDF by clicking below.
Check out the 2020 – 2021 Annual Catalog PDF below.
Learn how to make these cards with ribbon scraps in my Facebook Live video here:
The project demonstration begins at around 11 minutes in case you’d like to jump ahead.
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, once you subscribe, you’ll have the option to click on the bell, to be notified whenever I publish a new video.
Elegant Butterfly Card:
- Basic Black Card Body: 4-1/4″ x 11″
- Basic Black Dry Embossed Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Gold Foil: 3-1/2″ x 4″
- Vanilla Focal Piece: 3″ x 4-1/4″
- Sentiment Piece: 1/2″ x 3″
- Vanilla Inside Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″
Colorful Daisy Card:
- Card Body in White: 4-1/4″ x 11″
- White Dry Embossed Layer: 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″
- Focal Backing for Ribbon in White: 3-3/4″ x 4-1/4″
- White Focal Piece: 3-1/4″ x 4-1/2″
- Sentiment Piece: 5/8″ x 2-3/4″
Available on May 4, 2021:
- Evening Evergreen Ink Pad – Item #155576
- 2021-2023 In Color Jewels – Item #155571
- Evening Evergreen Open Weave Ribbon – Item #155573
- Soft Succulent Open Weave Ribbon – Item #155780
- Pale Papaya Open Weave Ribbon – Item #155672
- Polished Pink Open Weave Ribbon – Item #155714
- Fresh Freesia Open Weave Ribbon – Item #155615
Leave a Reply