In today’s post, I’ll be sharing a project made with the Good Morning Magnolia Stamp Set. The focus of this project was to demonstrate how to use alcohol markers to blend and shade.
I’m really no expert at using alcohol markers but somehow, every time I use them, it makes me feel good and I love the result. So, I figure if it makes me happy there’s something worth sharing!
So I’ve used several colors for my magnolia and as I like to say it’s my very own hybridized flower because, of course, magnolias are not typically blue!
I didn’t have the right Blends Alcohol colors to make this the traditional pink and white color scheme so I just went with blues! Why not right?
So for my flower, I’ve used the light and dark Blends Alcohol markers in Night of Navy, Balmy Blue, Daffodil Delight, Mossy Meadow, and the Color Lifter.
I went into a lot of detail in the video ahead but here are some of the highlights of the tips provided:
- When working with a given color you can start with either the light or dark marker. You can get to the same end result either way.
- There are two different size tips on each marker. One is like a paintbrush and the other is a hard nib. A lot of color will come out of the paintbrush end faster than from the other end so I tend to use that end for coloring larger areas of my image.
- The hard nib end is better for coloring small details and adding shades of color to blur lines. I like to make small circular motions when using the nib end so I’m not just getting a straight line of color.
- The Color Lifter is like a magic weapon. It will help to blur the lines and create texture.
In the photo below you’ll pretty much see how my colored image looked after my project demonstration in the video.
Off camera, I did play a little more with this. I added some balmy blue close to the yellow, to make the yellow area smaller, and to soften the transition between the blue and yellow. Plus, I touched up in some other places as well and then took this photo.
…and then I kept going!
I just couldn’t stop playing and now I’m not sure which version I like better! For the coloring below I added more of the Light Night of Navy and Dark Balmy Blue just to darken and soften the whole thing!
Needless to say, you can keep playing and adjusting your coloring to your own taste! So here’s the final version:
So which version of the coloring do you prefer? Leave a comment and let me know!
Thanks for checking out my project today and my tips for how to use alcohol markers! I hope you’re inspired to go create and play with your alcohol markers!
There’s a complete supply list and project dimensions at the end of this post.
Check out my video tutorial and Facebook Live here:
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, once you subscribe, you’ll have the option to click on the bell, to be notified whenever I publish a new video.
More Going On Now
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too!
- Click HERE to subscribe!
- GET PERKS when you Place Orders through my online store!
- Receive FREE Project Kits. Click HERE for more details.
- Get a FREE Tutorial Bundle! – The June bundle features the NEW 2019 – 2021 In Colors.
- Newsletter subscribers get the tutorial bundle FREE with a merchandise order of $35 or more, in my online store.
- If you’re NOT a subscriber get the tutorial bundle FREE with a merchandise order of $75 or more, in my online store.
- To qualify, you must use the current hostess code unless your order is $150 or more. In that case, you will still get the FREE tutorial bundle PLUS, hostess rewards!
- Click HERE to become a newsletter subscriber!
- Become a Treehouse Chick and take your Crafting and Creative Fun to the Next Level! Get $125 in product for just $99 when you buy the Starter Kit! Click HERE to learn more. Joining offer coming on July 1, 2019. Check back for details then!
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 7/18/19 at 7 pm EST
- Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the hostess code! You’ll get hostess rewards AND Free Card Kits too!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
Check out the NEW 2019 – 2020 Annual Catalog PDF below.
- Whisper White Card Base: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Balmy Blue Layer: 3-15/16″ x 5-3/16″
- Night of Navy Dry Embossed Layer: 3-3/4″ x 5″