For today’s project and video, I’ll be showing you how to use Brusho to create a stunning background. This is one of my May/June 2019 Club and Free Card Kit Projects.
So, the card I’m sharing today was inspired by my friend and fellow demonstrator, Wanda Williams.
She used the same background technique but with different dies. I just love her card! Here it is:
I’ve used the Hummingbird and Rectangle Stitched Framelits for my project.
I’ve also dry embossed the hummingbird with the Layered Leaves embossing folder. FYI, the Hummingbird Dies are retiring and can be purchased as part of a bundle with the Humming Along Stamp Set. Buying them as a bundle saves you 10%!
This technique can be done on either Shimmery White cardstock OR on Water Color paper.
I’ve used the Prussian Blue and Moss Green Brusho Crystals for my card. Here are some of the fun background pieces I’ve made using these papers:
For all the details on how to use Brusho to create backgrounds like these, check out my video tutorial, which you’ll find toward the end of this post.
So here’s the card my club members made this month:
The card shown here was create using the Shimmery White Cardstock.
In the photo below you might be able to see the subtle shimmery surface.
Can you see the shimmer in this one too?
This next background piece was created using watercolor paper.
So you may be wondering how it got the shimmery look. Well, I mixed up my own shimmer spray using some Frost White Shimmer paint and rubbing alcohol. Normally the shimmer spray has a more subtle look than what you see below. The truth is, I had mixed up my shimmer spray quite a while ago. While I did shake it up to remix it, the shimmer spray ended up being a bit more chunky than it might normally be. I think it turned out really pretty so just had to share!
So… this project is intended to be a bit of a Sneak Peek into some of the features of my new Technique Class Series, including what a technique page will look like.
Just ahead you’ll find the technique page to go along with today’s card.
I’ll be putting this technique page into an album or binder, to start a new technique book for myself. This style technique page will be the format for my new series of technique classes that I’ll be offering, starting in June 2019!
The page below includes a sample for doing the technique on Shimmery White paper (top sample) and a sample for doing the technique on Watercolor paper (bottom sample). The bottom sample turned out particularly dark but then every background you create will turn out different! It’s just part of the fun!
There will also be a multipage, step by step PDF, including photos, showing every step along the way!
The PDF tutorial will include additional details, tips, and variations for the technique that simply can’t fit onto the technique page shown below. I’ll be printing out the PDF to put into my album along with this technique page.
If you’d like to take advantage of my FREE Card Kit Program in May or June 2019, here’s what you’ll receive in the mail with a qualifying purchase:
This month’s kits are slightly different than usual.
- The kit on the left includes the materials to make the technique page, PLUS some extra scraps of Shimmery White Cardstock and Watercolor paper to play with the technique before making your card.
- In the middle kit, you’ll get the pieces to make the Hummingbird card with the Brusho background. The frame is die cut for you and the Hummingbird is dry embossed AND die cut!
- The kit on the right is the second card kit you’ll receive. Check out this card in the photo below or click HERE to check out the blog post for that card.
- You’ll also receive the PDF described above, which includes a “deep dive” into the technique, with step by step photos, tips, and instructions. The format of this PDF will be similar to the format used for my new technique classes.
- Last but not least, you’ll get a, 2019 – 2021 In Color Bookmark! Club members made this bookmark in class, but for those that receive the full set of May/June Free Card Kits, this bookmark has been made for you!
Here is a photo of the kits and completed May/June projects:
To learn more about my FREE Card Kits program click HERE.
Click HERE to learn more about my new technique classes!
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s card and technique for how to use Brusho for backgrounds.
You’ll find a complete supply list, project dimensions and my video with lots more details just ahead.
Thanks so much for spending some time with me today and Happy Crafting!
Check out my video tutorial here:
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, if you click on the bell you’ll be notified whenever I publish a new video.
More Going On Now
- NEW Technique Classes! Registration is now Open!
- RSVP by May 31, 2019
- Click HERE for all the details.
- Check out my Unique & Awesome “Taste of Suite” Product Shares!
- Preorder them NOW!
- Click HERE for more details
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too!
- Click HERE to subscribe!
- GET PERKS when you Place Orders through my online store!
- Receive FREE Project Kits. Click HERE for more details.
- Get a FREE Tutorial Bundle! – The May bundle features the Classic Garage Product Suite.
- If you are a newsletter subscriber get the tutorial bundle FREE with a $35 or more merchandise order in my online store.
- If you are NOT a newsletter subscriber get the tutorial bundle FREE with a $75 or more merchandise order in my online store.
- To qualify, you must use the current hostess code unless your order is $150 or more. In that case, you will still get the FREE tutorial bundle PLUS, hostess rewards!
- Click HERE to become a newsletter subscriber!
- Become a Treehouse Chick and take your Crafting and Creative Fun to the Next Level! Get $125 in product for just $99 when you buy the Starter Kit! Click HERE to learn more.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 5/23/19 at 7 pm EST
- Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the hostess code! You’ll get hostess rewards AND Free Card Kits too!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
Check out the 2019 Occasions Catalog PDF below. Retires 6/3/19!
Check out the 2018 – 2019 Annual Catalog PDF below. Retires 6/3/19!
- Whisper White Card Body: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Whisper White Frame: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Shimmery White Focal Piece: 3-3/4″ x 5″
- Whisper White Scrap for Die Cut Hummingbird
Technique Page Dimensions
- Shaded Spruce Body: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Night of Navy (2): 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Printed Instruction Sheet: 3-3/4″ x 5″
- Shimmery White Technique Sample Piece: 1-3/8″ x 5″
- Watercolor Paper Technique Sample Piece: 2-1/4″ x 5″