In today’s post, I’ll be showing how to use some leftover card-making scraps to make two quick cards!
The scraps I used for today’s cards are from one of my presentations for the April 2022 Maker’s Mojo Creative Escape! So, what you’ll see in this post is essentially a variation and sneak peek of one of the projects I shared at this online event. Since I used leftover scraps, I was able to make these two quick cards with minimal effort and time, and I LOVE that!
So usually when people talk about using scraps to make cards they’re talking about little bits and pieces of designer paper that don’t have an obvious use. What I’m talking about today is a bit different from that. The scraps I’m referring to are the stamped sentiments or images, die-cut pieces, punched pieces, and more that were created during a given card-making session. You could call them the “reject” pieces or simply pieces that didn’t end up being the right match for the card design. I call all these leftover bits and bobs “card salad”.
The photo below shows a close-up of the contents of the card salad baggie used for today’s quick cards.
I’ll be using the majority of these pieces for the two cards in this post!
TIP: If you like the idea of making quick cards with leftover pieces here’s a tip for you! After a given creative session put your leftover pieces in a little baggie so they’re all together. My pieces often coordinate so they make a great starting point for creating.
The theme for my Maker’s Mojo presentation was multi-colored heat embossing with masks.
For the main piece here I started by stamping my images with the Dragonfly Garden stamp set in Tuxedo Memento Black Ink. Next, I created a mask using the Picture This Dies and masking paper. Multiple inks were added and then the whole piece was heat embossed.
In this next photo, you’ll see that the panels of color are shiny, due to the fact that they are heat embossed. The punched dragonflies have a shiny sparkle to them too. A Clear Wink of Stella brush was used to add this bit of sparkle.
The sentiment piece here was also made using pieces from my scrap salad baggie with the exception of the “dot” on the “i”. That tiny little die-cut piece didn’t make it into the baggie so instead, I used a 2022-2024 In Color Matte Decorative Dot which worked perfectly!
Note: The only other pieces that did NOT come from my card salad baggie were, the card base, the black layer, the inside piece, and the black “Sending” sentiment piece.
For this next card, I used a focal piece that had some significant flaws which I managed to fix or cover. 🙂
It’s not perfect, however, it’s definitely good enough in my book. Plus, it’s handmade so it’s really not supposed to be perfect right?
So the big booboo that made me reject this piece in the first place is hidden behind the sentiment piece. Sneaky right? If you look closely at the pile of scrap salad pieces (above) you’ll see the very messy splotch of ink in the upper right-hand corner of this piece.
The floral images here are stamped with the Sending Smiles Stamp. I’ve used the coordinating dies on the card above.
Just like on the first card, I started by stamping my images in black ink, then I masked, added my colors one at a time, and then heat embossed. Don’t you just love this multicolored, heat embossed look? I LOVE it!
Here are my two quick cards side by side:
If you enjoyed todays projects you will love our Maker’s Mojo Creative Escape Events!
The summer event is coming on 7/29 & 7/30!
We do lots of interesting techniques, fun folds, 3D items, and more! To see the actual projects I shared during this Maker’s Mojo Presentation (in April) watch the video at the end of this post.
Some Maker’s Mojo Event Highlights:
- 10 presentations by 5 accomplished Stampin’ demonstrators.
- Each video presentation includes multiple project ideas, using lots of different products, with the goal of stimulating your creativity and inspiring you to create with what you have on hand.
- Participants receive a detailed PDF for EACH of the 10 presentations.
- You can participate live on Facebook, watch the replays on or off of Facebook, or any combination of the two, depending on your schedule and desire.
- There are also multiple prize drawings, and lots of conversation going on in the private Facebook Community you can choose to be a part of.
- If you are not a Facebook user, no worries… you can get all the content by email as well!
So what do you think of these “card salad” projects?
I hope you’re inspired to pull out your “card salad” scraps and make some quick cards!
At the end of this post, you’ll find dimensions, a complete supply list, plus my video with several Maker’s Mojo Creative Escape SNEAK PEEKS!
More Going On Now
- Summer Maker’s Mojo Creative Escape – Save the Dates: July 29 & 30, 2022! Click to Reserve Your Spot NOW!
- NEW Sun Prints Class! Click HERE to see the class Flyer with details. RSVP HERE by 6/27/22!
- “Taste of a Suite” Products Shares for the July to December 2022 MiniCatalog are NOW AVAILABLE to order! Click HERE to reserve shares by 6/29/22!
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too! I want to subscribe!
- Become a Stamp Club Member and Receive FREE Project Kits Plus FREE Products! Tell me more!
- Earn Loyalty Leaves with your purchases in my Online Store! Cash them in for FREE Stampin’ Up! products! Click HERE to learn more.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 05/26/22 at 7 pm EST. Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
- Waves of the Ocean Stamp Camp To Go! 1 Amazing Product Collection, 12 Fun Projects! PDF Only Option STILL AVAILABLE! Click HERE to learn more and Buy the Instant Download.
- Summer Maker’s Mojo Creative Escape Save the Dates: July 29 & 30, 2022! Click to Reserve Your Spot NOW!
Current Host Code:
Become a Stamp Club Member and get a Free Class-To-Go and Free Products!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the host code! You’ll get host rewards AND an additional gift from me!
Not sure how to apply the Host Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the 2022 – 2023 Annual Catalog PDF by clicking below!
Click HERE to request a catalog if you intend to purchase Stampin’ Up! products through my online store.
Click below to see the January to June 2022 Mini Catalog!
January to June 2022 Mini Catalog is retiring soon!
See the Last Chance List by clicking below! Discounts of up to 50% off starting on June 1, 2022!
July to December 2022 Mini Catalog is coming on 7/1/22!
Sale-A-Bration starts on 7/1/22 too!
Customers can earn FREE products, Hosts can get a FREE Stamp Set, and…
Purchasers of the Starter Kit get a Special Gift! Details coming soon!
Watch this video tutorial to see Sneak Peeks and learn more:
The project demonstration begins at around 12-½ minutes in case you’d like to jump ahead.
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, once you subscribe, you’ll have the option to click on the bell, to be notified whenever I publish a new video.
- Bermuda Bay Card Body: 8-½″ x 5-½″
- Basic Black Layer: 3-15/16″ x 5-3/16″
- White Focal Piece: 3-¾″ x 5″
- White Inside Piece: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Scraps for punching and die-cutting in Bermuda Bay, Coastal Cabana, Granny Apple Green, Basic Black
- Basic Black Card Body: 5-½″ x 8-½″
- Coastal Cabana Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Basic Black Layer: 3-7/16″ x 4-13/16″
- White Focal Piece: 3-⅜″ x 4-⅝″
- White Inside Piece: 4″ x 5-1/4″