Today I have another project for you featuring the Sea of Textures Bundle which includes the Sea of Textures Stamp Set and the coordinating, Under The Sea Framelits. I’ve also used my “Black Ice” paper crafting technique.
This card was actually the first project I created after getting the Sea of Textures Bundle. It’s got a lot of layers and steps which I’ll describe here.
Here are the first few steps for doing the Black Ice technique, to make the focal piece on this card:
- Use a Jet Black StazOn Ink Pad to do the direct to paper technique, to create streaks of black that run from the top to the bottom of the Silver Foil focal piece.
- Stamp the images as desired to create the ocean scene.
- Dry the ink on the focal piece using the low setting on your heat tool.
- Run an embossing buddy over the surface of the foil to prepare for the next step.
- Every so lightly, run the Versamark Ink pad along the surface of the focal piece. For most of my Black Ice projects I’ve run the Versamark in straight lines, but for this card I wanted the streaks to have more movement, like waves in the ocean. So, I streaked with the Versamark in a wave like shape. You may be able to see the curvy shapes in the focal piece below.
- After the Versamark was applied, Clear Stampin’ Emboss Powder was poured over the surface, tapped off and then heat embossed with a Heat Tool.
That’s really all there is to the “Black Ice” Technique. I have a video tutorial which I’ve included below in case you want more details and tips. For this particular card I added some additional elements, to add even more interest and dimension.
Here are the additional steps I took to finish off this card:
- Use Jet Black StazOn Ink to Stamp the Octopus image on a Copper Foil Sheet.
- Die cut the Octopus with the Under The Sea Framelits.
- Die cut the “Ocean Grass” from a piece of Basic Black Cardstock.
- Use Versamark Ink to Stamp the “Ocean Grass” and “Net” images and heat emboss with Gold Stampin’ Emboss Powder.
- Use the “School of Fish” die to cut out the fish from the focal piece.
- In various colors, sponge a piece of Glossy White cardstock that is big enough to fit behind the die cut fish openings. This piece was actually a scrap that I had laying around from some other project, but it worked perfectly to create my school of tropical fish!
In the two close up photos above can you see the wavy “black ice” lines? I love how these create movement to the scene, like the ocean water is actually moving. Comment and let me know if you see what I’m referring to and let me know what you think.
There’s one final step before assembling this card. The Jet Black StazOn Ink Pad was rubbed against all four edges of the focal piece to essentially soften the edges, and help it blend with the piece of cardstock behind it. This is something I like to do on most of my Black Ice Project.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my project today. I think it’s my favorite personal creation made with the Sea of Textures Bundle.
If you’d like to recreate this project there are project dimensions and a complete supply list ahead. If you decide to purchase some of these products, make sure to check out my Hip Hip Hooray Special Offer so you don’t miss out on the freebies. I’m giving lots of perks for purchases while I’m out for surgery this next few weeks. I’m having hip replacement surgery, which I expect will slow me down for a bit. If you take advantage of my perks you’ll be helping me keep the business working while I can’t. Plus… you’ll be helping me reach my goal of earning the Greek Isles Incentive trip with your purchase. You’ll find details and links to more information in the “More Going On Now” section below.
- Card Body in Basic Black: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Soft Suede Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Basic Black Focal Backing: 3-1/2″ x 4-3/4″
- Silver Foil Focal Piece: 3-1/4″ x 4-1/2″
Check out my original video tutorial for this technique:
If you enjoyed this video and you watched here on my blog, please pop on over to YouTube to give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I would so appreciate it!
Click HERE to check out my second Black Ice Video tutorial, which includes some additional tips for achieving success with the Black Ice Paper Crafting Technique.
More Going On Now…
Check out my Hip Hip Hooray Special Offer to Celebrate my new “Hip” Hip!
- Get up to 8 Free Items and Hostess Rewards!
- Get up to 11 Free Items and hostess benefits, if you subscribe to receive my emails!
- Offer good from 8/27/18 to 9/7/18 OR While Supplies Last!
- Plus… While your getting some great perks, you’ll also be helping me Earn the Greek Isles Incentive Trip!
- Click HERE to check out all the details
PreOrder Your “Taste of a Suite” Product Shares NOW!
- Get Your Paper Crafters Buffet of 2018 Holiday Catalog Products with my “Taste of a Suite” Product Shares!
- These are unique shares that combine the consumable products from each product suite.
- You get a set of coordinating products to play with, without spending the money to buy whole packs of anything!
- PreOrder Available till 9/12/18
- Click HERE to check out all the details
Bonus Days are Here!
- For EACH $50 spent during the month of August GET a $5 Coupon!
- Redeem your Coupon(s) in September
- There’s no limit to how many coupons you can get
- Click HERE to Shop Now
Color Your Season Limited Time Offer!
- Get Exclusive Products through 8/31 or while supplies last
- Get the NEW Blended Seasons Stamp Set and coordinating framelits
- Save 10% when you purchase the Stamp Set and framelits together
- Get NEW Watercolor Pencils Assortment 2
- Click HERE to see the products available through this promotion
Hostess Special Coming in September!
- When you host a qualifying party in September you’ll get a FREE Pack of the Dashing Along Designer Series Paper!
- Start planning your party now so you can reap the benefits in September!
- If you’re interested in hosting a virtual OR in-person party click HERE to contact me and we can discuss details.
I hope you have an awesome day and…
Click HERE to Shop Now
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits, and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.