Today’s project is something I call Sponge Art but it actually includes several techniques including, heat embossing, an emboss resist, water coloring with acrylic blocks, splattering, and simple two-step stamping as well.
It’s been a while since I’ve done a more artsy type card with my clubs. This stamp set inspired me to play with all these techniques and I truly had a blast. I was actually intending to do a technique called Josephs Coat but then my project sort of morphed into what you see here. Josephs Coat is another form of sponge art as well.
You should also know that this project features a stamp set called Happiness Surrounds which is part of the Snowflake Showcase limited time offer only available during the month of November (or while supplies last.) There are five products available through this promotion and one has already sold out! Click HERE to check out the other products in the Snowflake Showcase promotion.
As you can see here I’ve in fact created two versions of this card in two different color schemes.
I shared the first one as part of the November Color Fusers Blog Hop earlier this month. I loved that color scheme but just had to try it out with the purples too! In the process of demonstrating this card to my three club groups, I’ve created several versions of this focal piece. Here are just three of the versions I’ve made:
So what do you think of the description of sponge art?
While sponging isn’t the only technique used here it is what brings this focal piece together with the variation in the colors and with the lights and darks. I also love those gorgeous images and the effect of the splattering to top it off.
I have not done a video tutorial for this purple color scheme however I do have a video for the other color scheme shown in the photo above. Aside from the alternative colors, there are a few differences in these purple sponge art versions which I will share here.
A few details about the card above:
- Basic Black was used for the neutral color.
- The edges were sponged with Memento Black Ink
- Two images were stamped, one over the other (two-step stamping), with the Memento Black Ink in the center of each medallion.
- The floral image was cleaned and then stamped with first and second ink in Blackberry Bliss Ink, in the open spaces around the medallions.
- Three small Rhinestone Jewels were colored with the Dark Highland Heather Blends Alcohol Marker and placed in the center of each of the three medallions.
- For the additional details about this Easel card please watch my video tutorial just ahead.
Keep in mind each focal piece will turn out completely different!
This is definitely one of those projects where you have to go with the flow and enjoy the process! Here are a couple of close-ups showing some of the gorgeous details in this card.
Here’s my trio of sponge art cards. I hope you like them and will give it a try! Just be prepared to get inky fingers! LOL!
Click HERE if you’d like to see more pictures and my blog post featuring this same card layout for the Color Fusers Blog Hop.
Check out my Sponge Art Video Tutorial Here:
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful!
I hope you’ve enjoyed my sponge art project today! You’ll find a complete supply list and dimensions for this project just ahead.
In case you’re not aware, you can order from my Online store 24/7 and get project kits for FREE!
Today’s project is, in fact, one of the FREE card kits offered through my FREE Card Kits program with qualifying orders placed in November and December 2018.
Click HERE to learn more about my FREE Card Kits Program or get even MORE benefits when you join an Online or InPerson Club!
More Going On Now…
- Online Extravaganza is coming VERY SOON!
- Watch for more details in the next few days.
- How to get your NEW Occasions Catalog and Sale-A-Bration Brochure
- I’ll be Ordering Catalogs soon to send to Customers! Here’s how to receive yours…
- One way to receive your 2019 catalogs automatically is to be sure that you are on my mailing list by simply placing a $50 or more online order between May 2018 and November 30, 2018.
- Another way to receive your new catalogs would be to join Stampin’ UP! as a demonstrator and be a part of my Chicks in a Treehouse team.
- If you are one of my customers but have been unable to order in the last 6 months, contact me in early-December and I’d be happy to mail them to you!
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 11/29/18 at 4 pm EST
- These events include all the latest updates plus.. A project and/or technique demonstration too!
- Snowflake Showcase Limited Time Offer Available until 11/30 or While Supplies Last!
- “Taste of a Suite” Product Shares are Coming mid December!
Click HERE to Shop Now
Current Hostess Code:
Click Below to see the 2018 Holiday Catalog PDF
Click Below to see the 2018 – 2019 Annual Catalog PDF
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
- Card Body in Highland Heather: 4-1/4″ x 11″ Scored @ 2-3/4″ & 5-1/2″
- Gorgeous Grape Layer: 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″
- Basic Black Layer: 4″ x 5-1/4″
- Whisper White Focal Piece: 3-13/16″ x 5-1/16″
- Raised Basic Black Piece for “bumper”: 1-5/8″ x 4″
- Gorgeous Grape Layer for the top of “bumper”: 1-7/16″ x 3-13/16″
- Basic Black Inside Layer: 3-1/2″ x 4″
- Highland Heather Inside Layer: 3-1/4″ x3-13/16″
Leave a Reply