Today’s project features the Flowering Desert Stamp Set in the Occasions Catalog and the Spotlighting Technique. This set includes a variety of fun images and sentiments that I really like. Desert plants and flowers are so unique and beautiful in a similar way to each human being on the planet!
The sentiment “be your own kind of beautiful” is such a wonderful way of celebrating and acknowledging the unique beauty in each of us and I LOVE that idea!
I chose to use a monochromatic, largely black and white color scheme here because I wanted to play around with the spotlighting technique, in a slightly different way than I have done
in the past.
Typically, this technique is done with line-drawn images that are colored in. By using these types of images it makes doing the spotlighting technique pretty clear cut because all you have to do is punch out a portion of the image and color it in, to make it stand out. Click HERE to check out a few projects I recently created made with the traditional spotlighting technique.
Using a stamp set with solid images instead of images that you’d color in, presented a different kind of challenge.
I couldn’t simply punch out the image but rather I had to restamp it on a separate piece of cardstock in some other way, to make it look different from the base image. In addition, the other challenge is that for the spotlighting to work with multiple images like they are here, the images would have to be stamped in exactly the same position, so that when it was punched out it would line up perfectly with the image underneath it. As a result, I used the Stamparatus, my stamp positioning tool for all the stamping on this project.
In the close up below can you tell that the images stamped within the circle look brighter and darker than the images, not within the circle?
That’s because I stamped all the images twice on two separate focal pieces. The first set of images were stamped with Smoky Slate, Basic Gray, and Memento Black ink.
For the second set of images, I used a method to heat emboss each of these images in the same exact colors but the heat embossing added a shiny finish.
The graphic here explains this simple process to heat emboss in ANY color with just ONE embossing powder! I love this trick and hope you do too!
Now for today’s spotlighting technique card I stamped on Whisper White cardstock, just one of the three options described above.
In this next close up it’s much easier to see how the heat embossed images shine and look like they are in the spotlight! It’s a bit more subtle than when the images in the spotlight are colored but it’s still a pretty cool look. I hope you agree!
Here’s another closeup of my images in the spotlight!
I will soon be sharing another project made with this set that is in color, instead of black and white. Stay tuned for that one coming soon.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my project today!
For all the details definitely check out my video tutorial just ahead. You’ll also find project dimensions and a complete supply list at the end of this post in case you’d like to recreate this project or purchase any of the products.
Thanks for stopping by today to check out my spotlighting technique card!
Have a fabulous day and Happy Crafting!
Check out my Video Tutorial Here:
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, if you click on the bell you’ll be notified whenever I publish a new video.
Would you like to see examples of the Spotlighting technique in color?
Click HERE to check out another post with two fun spotlighting projects.
More Going On Now…
- There are now THREE NEW Sale-A-Bration items that you can select FREE with qualifying purchases. Click HERE to check out the 2nd Release Sale-A-Bration brochure.
- NOW GET even MORE PERKS when you place an order through my online store!
- As always, you’ll receive FREE Project Kits through my Free Card Kits Program with qualifying purchases. The more you purchase the more kits you get! Click HERE for more details.
- And… when you spend just a little more, you’ll get the Simple Suite Stampers Tutorial Bundle PDF FREE as well! The bundle includes 8 tutorials!
- All orders of $75 in merchandise or more will get this Tutorial Bundle PDF Free!
- For orders under $150, use the current hostess code to qualify.
- For orders of $150 or more, DO NOT use the hostess code! You’ll still receive the Tutorial Bundle AND you’ll get hostess rewards too!
- Also, don’t forget that for EVERY $50 in merchandise spent you’ll get a FREE item from Stampin’ Up! through Sale-a-Bration. Click HERE for more details about this promotion.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 2/21/19 at 4 pm EST
- Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
- Click on “following” on my facebook page so you’ll receive a notification of when I go LIVE. Under the “following” options you can also select the “see first” option which might help you to find me more easily.
- Become a Treehouse Chick and take your Crafting and Creative Fun to the Next Level!
- Get $175 in product for just $99 when you buy the Starter Kit during Sale-A-Bration!
- Click HERE to learn more.
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the 2019 2nd Release Sale-A-Bration Brochure PDF by clicking below.
See the 2019 Sale-A-Bration Brochure PDF by clicking below.
Check out the 2019 Occasions Catalog PDF below.
Check out the 2018 – 2019 Annual Catalog PDF below.
- Basic Black Card Body: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Gray Granite Layer: 3-1/2″ x 4-1/2″
- Whisper White Focal Piece: 3-1/4″ x 4-1/4″
- Whisper White Inside Piece: 3-7/8″ x 5-1/8″
Leave a Reply