Today’s project features a few simple stamping techniques for cards, that every crafter should know! This card is made with the Winter Woods and Dashing Deer Stamp Sets from the Stampin’ Up! Holiday Catalog.
The version you see here is really just simple stamping with, a bit of a watercolor wash, shadow stamping and I’ve used first and second inking as well. These are some of the most basic stamping techniques for cards. Do you know all these techniques already? Maybe you know them but weren’t aware of what they were called?
The truth is that while this card looks super simple I made about five different versions of it.
On the first version, I stamped the deciduous background trees in Crumb Cake with second inking and I applied glitter on the “ground” and on the evergreen tree to make it look like there was snow in those spots. I decided it looked kind of messy so played some more to find a version I liked better. I’ve only included photos of one version in this post but I’ve shown a few additional versions in my video tutorial.
My video tutorial also includes some bloopers, to show things that did not work so well, so you can learn from my mistakes.
Here’s the version that was my favorite:
For the card shown in this post, I used Shimmery White cardstock, instead of plain Whisper White. By using this cardstock I was able to add a bit of subtle sparkle, without having to mess with glitter.
Also, by using the Shimmery White cardstock I was able to create a watercolor wash for the “ground” using my Aqua Painter and Smoky Slate re-inker. It’s difficult to do a watercolor wash on Whisper White cardstock but Shimmery White can handle a bit more water.
- I created my watercolor wash after the trees and deer were stamped.
- When doing a watercolor wash you always want to wet your paper first so the ink moves on the paper.
- Use your Aqua Painter to apply a little water in the areas where you intend to do your watercolor wash.
- These are waterbased inks so, as you can see, my Aqua Painter touched the evergreen tree just a bit, causing some of the Mossy Meadow ink to bleed. I actually like the effect but it’s just something to keep in mind if you don’t.
Can you see a bit of the shimmer in the photo below? The light is catching the shimmery surface in the lower left-hand corner. It’s subtle but very pretty!
Watch the video tutorial below and you’ll learn exactly how I created the version of my card in this post.
Plus, you’ll see ways to use first and second inking in different combinations, to produce some variations in the end result. I love that I can use simple stamping techniques for cards, like this one, to get creative with my cards!
Check out my Video Tutorial here:
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful!
I hope you’ve enjoyed my project today!
You’ll find a complete supply list and dimensions for the project just ahead.
If you do not already have a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator and you enjoy the projects I share, I’d love to support you in your paper crafting journey!
To become a part of my community…
- Click HERE to Subscribe to my email list. Get subscriber only perks periodically too!
- Contact me to request a catalog by clicking HERE!
- Place an order of $50 or more in merchandise before 12/5/18 and I’ll automatically send you the NEW Occasions Catalog and Sale-A-Bration Brochure in December. These catalogs go live on 1/3/19! Click HERE to Shop Now.
- Join my amazing team of “Treehouse Chicks”. To learn more click HERE.
Please let me know if you have questions. I’m here to help!
Would you like to see another project made with the Winter Woods Stamp Set?
Click HERE to check out my Dry Embossing over Winter Woods blog post.
More Going On Now…
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 12/06/18 at 4 pm EST
- These events include all the latest updates plus. A project and/or technique demonstration too!
- “Taste of a Suite” Product Shares are Coming mid-December!
- Preorder Opening Soon!
- Invoices will be sent out between Thursday 12/27/18 and Friday 1/4/19.
- Shares will be filled and distributed in January.
- More details coming soon!
- Get Free Card Kits in the Mail when you place a qualifying order in my Online Store!!!
- Click HERE to learn more.
- Become a Treehouse Chick and take your Crafting and Creative Fun to the Next Level!
- Click HERE to learn more.
Click HERE to Shop Now
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the 2018 Holiday Catalog PDF by clicking the photo below.
Click Below to see the 2018 – 2019 Annual Catalog PDF
- Card Body in Early Espresso: 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″
- Mossy Meadow Layer: 3-⅞“ x 5-⅛“
- Shimmery White Focal Piece: 3-⅝″ x 4-⅞″
- Whisper White Inside Piece: 3-⅞“ x 5-⅛“
Leave a Reply