For today’s project, I’ll be showing two ways to use stamping with dry embossing.
The Life Is Beautiful Stamp Set is the star of the show along with the Winter Snow embossing folder. I just adore both of these products! In addition to stamping with dry embossing, I’ll also be heat embossing, sponging, tearing, and more! What you see here is the first version of my card.
Here are the basic steps to create this focal piece:
- First, dry emboss a piece of Seaside Spray cardstock using the Winter Snow embossing folder.
- Sponge over the dry embossed card stock to bring out the shapes of the snowflakes and create some variation in the background. I used both Seaside Spray and Misty Moonlight ink for my sponging.
- IMPORTANT TIP: Before moving on to the next step make sure to dry your card stock using the low setting of your heat tool. Plus, you’ll want to rub an antistatic pouch over the surface of your cardstock also.
- Watch my video to see what happens if you don’t do these steps and want to fix the mistake. I love that I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW DURING THE LIVE VIDEO!
- I then stamped my tree image using White Craft ink (a pigment-based ink that is sticky and wet) and then poured clear embossing powder over the tree and heat embossed the tree. Using this combination is what gives it the white but somewhat translucent, shiny look.
- Next, the snowflakes were stamped with Versamark ink and heat embossed with white embossing powder.
Watch my Facebook Live video at the end of this post to learn about why I used these different inks in the way that I did.
For the birdhouse and sentiment pieces, I stamped them and then fussy cut out the shapes with my paper snips. I love the look but it was a bit difficult to cut out the birdhouse and bird since they are so small.
For the sentiment piece, I simply cut it to follow the basic contours of the letters. To attach the Snowflake Splendor ribbon I put some adhesive on the back and created a “Z” shape.
Tip: If you create a sentiment piece like this one just know that you will need to use a strong adhesive like multipurpose liquid glue to attach the ribbon. I tried glue dots at first but it would not stick.
For the card I created Live on Facebook, my goal was to offer an easier way to include the birdhouse and birds without the fussy cutting!
That meant I had to change up the order that I did my steps so that I could stamp the birdhouse directly onto the card stock! That meant I had to do my stamping BEFORE, instead of after, I did my dry embossing. Check out my Facebook Live video at the end of this post to see what I did.
By doing it this way, I found that the birdhouse did not stand out as much. So, to make it show a bit more I used my Stampin’ Write Markers to outline and add more color to the images. Plus, I added some clear Wink of Stella to the birdhouse and birds to make them show up even more.
Here’s a close up of the birdhouse. I was hard to add color to the birds since they are so tiny. The one on the left came out better than the one on the right which sort of looks like a little blog of color. LOL!
So here are my two cards, side by side, to show the difference.
As you can see, even with the added coloring and Wink of Stella, the birdhouse and birds don’t show up quite as well as on my original card.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my stamping with dry embossing project using the Life is Beautiful Stamp Set and Winter Snow embossing folder!
Make sure to watch my video at the end of this post for all the additional details about this card. You’ll also find dimensions and a complete supply list with links to my online store if you scroll down.
Thanks for spending some time with me today and Happy Crafting!
More Going On Now
- NEW Life Is Beautiful Class
- NEW Glazed Mosaic Technique Class
- Select Designer Series Papers on Sale NOW! – Get a 15% Discount! Click HERE to see what’s on sale.
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks!
- GET FREE Card Kits when you Place Orders in my online store!
- Earn Loyalty Leaves with your purchases in my Online Store! Cash them in for FREE Stampin’ Up! products! Click HERE to learn more.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 10/15/20 at 7 pm EST. Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
Click HERE to Shop in my Online Store Now!
Current Hostess Code:
Use the current hostess code to get Free Card Kits and other perks with your qualifying purchases!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the hostess code! You’ll get hostess rewards AND Free Card Kits too!
Not sure how to apply the Hostess Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the August to December 2020 Mini Catalog PDF by clicking below.
Check out the 2020 – 2021 Annual Catalog PDF below.
See my stamping with dry embossing project being made in my Facebook Live video here:
The project demonstration begins at around 7-½ minutes in case you’d like to jump ahead.
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, once you subscribe, you’ll have the option to click on the bell, to be notified whenever I publish a new video.
- Card Body: 4-1/4″ x 11″
- Seaside Spray Focal Piece: 3-3/4″ x 5″
- Misty Moonlight Layer: 3-15/16″ x 5-3/16″
- Night of Navy Strip: 1-3/8″ x 4-1/4″
- Whisper White Strip for Torn Snow: 1″ x 3-3/4″
- Whisper White Scrap for Sentiment