In today’s post, you’ll see two unique Christmas Cards that feature the Lights Aglow suite and some fun and unusual techniques!
The techniques I’m featuring today include some “out of the box” ways to use adhesives. I’ll be using a foam adhesive sheet and multipurpose liquid glue to create my two unique Christmas cards.
The gold textured background was created using Multipurpose Liquid Glue and the large gold snowflake was made using a foam adhesive sheet.
In both cases, Gilded Leafing was used.
The next photo shows the snowflake at an angle, so you can see how thick this solid piece is.
Here are the basic steps for creating the background:
- Dab a crumpled-up piece of plastic wrap into a small bit of multipurpose liquid then repeatedly apply the glue onto a piece of white cardstock.
- Allow the glue to dry and then add Gilded Leafing so that it sticks wherever the dried glue is.
- Stamp snowflake images in Pacific Point and Tahitian Tide ink.
- Apply additional color to the white cardstock using sponges or blending brushes. The ink colors used here are Pacific Point, Tahitian Tide, and Orchid Oasis.
TIP: You’ll get more subtle textures if you dab off the first bit of glue onto scrap paper and then proceed to dab glue onto your cardstock. The bigger splotch of gold in the upper left-hand corner of my piece was from my first dab of glue.
For my second card, I used the negative space piece of my leftover foam adhesive sheet from the first card.
For this version, I sprinkled some gilded leafing onto the exposed adhesive and then poured gold embossing powder over the rest of the sticky surface. I then used my heat tool to melt the embossing powder. This is the card I made during my Facebook Live which is linked below in case you want to watch.
In the close-up photo below you may be able to see that the gold looks a bit irregular. In fact, the light portions are where the gilded leafing is and the darker portions are the melted gold embossing powder.
This was a bit of an experiment but it worked out pretty well. One thing I didn’t anticipate was that the smaller pieces of the foam adhesive sheet actually melted a tiny bit when I was using the heat tool to melt the embossing powder. These small pieces are a little misshapen as a result. Even still, I’m pretty happy with how this turned out.
On this version, I used a couple of the Labels Aglow dies, one for the sentiment piece and the other for the Orchid Oasis die cut circle. I love the details in this set of dies which coordinate with the Brightest Glow Set which is where my sentiments came from.
Here’s my pair of unique Christmas cards side by side:
For a quick look at the process used with my two adhesives on these cards, check out the graphic here:
I hope you’ve enjoyed my cards today and hope you’re inspired to create some fun projects with your adhesives.
If you enjoyed today’s projects you’re going to love my latest offer!
Get my Creative Play with Adhesives Technique Class Tutorial for FREE when you purchase my Adhesives Essentials Pack! Get the 29-page class Tutorial absolutely FREE
Things to know about this offer:
- You get a 15% discount on the adhesives and they’re packaged in a cute canvas zippered pouch.
- In the class, you’ll learn how to use three additional adhesives to make a variety of fun projects.
- The 29-page PDF Tutorial includes detailed technique instructions plus dimensions, supplies, and photos to make 4 additional unique projects using 3 different adhesives.
- When you buy the Adhesives Essentials Pack you’ll receive the class PDF Tutorial as an instant download! The regular tutorial price is $20!
For additional details about today’s projects including dimensions, supplies and my video tutorial scroll down to the end of this post.
More Going On Now
- Get the Creative Play with Adhesives Technique Class for FREE when you buy an Adhesives Essentials Pack – Click HERE to Learn More and Buy it Now!
- Lights Aglow Stamp-A-Stack with To-Go AND Live In-Person Options! Click HERE to See the Flyer. Find MORE Details when you register by clicking HERE.
- Autumn Maker’s Mojo Creative Escape: October 21 & 22, 2022! Click to Reserve Your Spot NOW!
- Become a Newsletter Subscriber and get Special Perks plus FREE Downloads too! I want to subscribe!
- Become a Stamp Club Member and Receive FREE Project Kits Plus FREE Products! Tell me more!
- Earn Loyalty Leaves with your purchases in my Online Store! Cash them in for FREE Stampin’ Up! products! Click HERE to learn more.
- Join me for my next Facebook Live Event on Thursday 09/22/22 at 7 pm EST. Find me on Facebook by clicking here: Melissa’s Crafting Treehouse Facebook Page
Current Host Code:
Become a Stamp Club Member and get a Free Class-To-Go and Free Products!
If your order is $150 or more Do NOT use the host code! You’ll get host rewards AND an additional gift from me!
Not sure how to apply the Host Code? Click HERE to learn more.
See the 2022 – 2023 Annual Catalog here!
Click HERE to request a catalog if you intend to purchase Stampin’ Up! products through my online store.
Click below to see the July to December 2022 Holiday Mini Catalog!
Learn how to make this in my Facebook Live video tutorial here:
The project demonstration begins at around 7-1/2 minutes in case you’d like to jump ahead.
If you watched this video here on my blog and enjoyed it, please go on over to my YouTube channel and give it a Thumbs Up, Share it with friends and Subscribe to my YouTube Channel. I’d be so grateful! Plus, once you subscribe, you’ll have the option to click on the bell, to be notified whenever I publish a new video.
Pieces for Card #1 & #2
- Orchid Oasis Card Body: 4-¼″ x 11″
- Starry Sky Layer: 3-⅞″ x 5-⅛”
- Basic White Layer: 3-11/16″ x 4-15/16″
- Tahitian Tide Sentiment Piece (cut as follows or larger scrap for die-cutting): 3-¼” x ½”
- Starry Sky Sentiment Backing: 3-⅞″ x ¾”
- Starry Sky Inside Piece: 3-⅞″ x 5-⅛”
- Basic White Inside Piece: 3-11/16″ x 4-15/16″
- Gold Glimmer, Brushed Metallic Cardstock Scraps for Die Cutting
- Foam Adhesive Sheet: 2-¾” x 2-⅞”
Additional Pieces for Card #2
- Starry Sky Layer: 3-⅛” x 3-¼”
- Orchid Oasis Scrap for Die Cutting